Situated on the edge of Bodega Harbor, the picturesque village of Bodega Bay, California, is known for its moderate climate, long sandy beaches, and breathtaking coastal vistas. Here, guests can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities including hiking, whale watching, crabbing, and more, or stroll the area’s many shops, art galleries, and historical sites. Less than an hour away from the Honor Mansion, there are so many things to do in Bodega Bay, CA, during any time of year! Here are some of our favorite attractions.
The Best Things to Do in Bodega Bay, CA
- Bodega Bay Sailing: Guests can take a spectacular 3-hour sailing tour of the area with Bodega Bay Sailing. On their on a 33-foot sailboat, you’ll have beautiful views of the Sonoma Coast and may even be able to spot whales, dolphins, sea lions, and harbor seals along the way!
- Horse N Around Trail Rides: Open year round, horseback riding with Horse N Around Trails is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. On their incredible 378-acre ranch, you’ll have panoramic ocean views and can enjoy a romantic ride with your special someone or some fun with friends and family.
- Fishetarian Fish Market: With the slogan “sustainable food & good eats”, you know you’re going to get a fresh, delicious meal at Fishetarian. In order to protect the natural beauty of Northern California’s oceans, this eatery uses biodegradable and recyclable tableware and offers classic seafood dishes made with a healthy twist. Be sure to stop by for a bite when you’re in Bodega!
- Bodega Bay Gifts: If you’re looking to go shopping in Bodega Bay, be sure to stop by Bodega Bay Gifts. Here, you’ll find over 1,100 square feet of souvenirs including T-shirts, shell jewelry, educational games, local art, and more, so you can bring a home a piece of the beach with you.
- Potter Schoolhouse: If you’re a fan of Alfred Hitchcock, you probably think of his 1963 thriller “The Birds” when you think of Bodega Bay. The movie was filmed at this schoolhouse on Bodega Lane, and the building played a prominent role in the action. Today it is a private residence but is a must-see when you’re in the area.
- Doran Regional Park: Featuring 2 miles of sandy beach, Doran Regional Park is ideal for a day of outdoor recreation. Guests can spend an afternoon picnicking, flying kites, and bird-watching on land, or feel free to get in the water and enjoy kayaking, stand-up paddling, and kite surfing.
- Pinnacle Gulch Coastal Access Trail: Leading to a beautiful, quiet beach on Bodega Bay, Pinnacle Gulch is the perfect place to spend a day exploring the shoreline. At low tide, visitors can hike the 1.9-mile loop trail and even venture from Pinnacle to Doran Beach.
- Hagemann Ranch Trout Fishing: Nestled in the hills of a 219-acre sheep and cattle ranch, guests can enjoy casting a line in the fully-stocked fishing pond at Hagemann Ranch. The ranch even offers bait and tackle, snacks and beverages, and picnic tables, so you can relax while you wait to catch a big one!
- Gourmet au Bay: The only waterside wine bar and tasting room on the Sonoma Coast, Gourmet au Bay is the ultimate destination for wine lovers. You’ll be able to try award-winning varietals from all over California and can even visit the gift shop to peruse a multitude of coastal-inspired treasures.
- Spud Point Crab Company: A trip to Bodega Bay isn’t complete without a taste of this restaurant’s world-famous chowder. They’ve won first place 8 years running at the annual Bodega Bay Chowder Day and serve up other fisherman favorites including hot dogs, chili dogs, crab cakes, and tri-tip sandwiches. Yum!
Come Home to the Honor Mansion!
When planning your Bodega Bay visit, be sure to book your stay at our Healdsburg bed and breakfast. After a wonderful day, you can return to one of our beautiful rooms or suites and rest up, then join us for a lovely afternoon wine hour. Plus, our Healdsburg hotel is just steps from downtown Healdsburg, so you can wake up the next morning and explore all over again. We can’t wait to hear all about your adventures!
For more information on Bodega Bay tourism,
download our free Sonoma County vacation guide.
Photo Credit: Tomsmith585 | Thinkstock